Eight Reasons Why Every Christian Should Stand With Israel
1. BECAUSE GOD SAYS HE WILL BLESS THOSE WHO BLESS THEM.
Genesis 12:3: “I will bless them that bless thee and curse them that curse thee, and in thee shall all the nations of the earth be blessed.”
Isaiah 60:12: ‘For the nation that will not serve you will perish; it will be utterly ruined.”
2. BECAUSE WE OWE THEM A DEBT FOR WHAT WE HAVE RECEIVED THROUGH THEM
Through Israel the promises and covenants were given. Through them came the law, the prophets and the Messiah Jesus, who has opened up access to God for all. Through the Jewish apostles the gospel first went to the nations. To the Israelites ‘pertain the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the service of God and the promises, of whom are the fathers and from whom, according to the flesh, Christ came, who is over all.’ (Romans 9:4-5). “For if the Gentiles have come to share in their spiritual blessings, they ought also be of service them in material to them in their material blessings” (Rom. 15:27)
3. BECAUSE GOD’S GIFTS & CALL ON THEM HAVE NOT BEEN REVOKED
Romans 11:28: ‘As regards the gospel they are enemies of God for our sake; but as regards the election they are beloved for the sake of their forefathers. For the gifts and call of God are irrevocable.’
Though most Jews have not yet responded to the gospel, this has not invalidated God’s plan for them, which He will ultimately fulfill. The covenant with Abraham has not been replaced by the New Covenant, nor been set aside because of their failure to enter the New Covenant. Though the once for all sacrifice of Jesus has fulfilled and replaced the Temple sacrifices, the eternal covenant God made with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and their descendants has NOT been set aside. “A hardening has come upon part of Israel, until the full number of the gentiles has come in, and so all Israel will be saved.”(Rom 11:26)
4. BECAUSE GOD HAS PROMISED TO BRING THEM BACK TO THEIR LAND.
God has promised to turn, again to the Jewish people, to bring them back to their land and to cleanse them from unrighteousness.
“‘I will restore the fortunes of My people Israel and they shall rebuild the ruined cities and inhabit them; l will plant them upon their land and they shall never again be plucked up out of the land which I have given them ‘ says the Lord your God.’” (Amos 9:14-15)” “I will take the people of Israel from the nations among which they have gone, and will gather them from all sides and bring them to their own land; and I will make them one nation in the land, upon the mountains of Israel; and one king shall be king over them all.” (Ezekiel 37:21-22)
The regathering of Israel is prophesied in Ezekiel, Isaiah, Deuteronomy, Amos, Hosea, Jeremiah, by Jesus in Luke 21:24, and by Paul in Romans 11. It is a key condition to the full flowering of the Messianic age. God promised Abraham and his descendants the land of Israel as an everlasting possession. He confirmed that promise with Isaac as recorded in Genesis 26:3-4 and again with Jacob in Genesis 35:12.
5. BECAUSE THE TIMES OF THE GENTILES ARE FULFILLED
‘Jerusalem will be trodden down underfoot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.’ (Lk 21:24)
Jesus foresaw that the Roman Gentile armies would overthrow every vestige of Jewish rule in Jerusalem; but He also saw that that Gentile domination of Jerusalem would come to an end. In 70 AD Jerusalem fell to the Roman army.
In 1967 in the course of defending themselves against an attack from their Arab neighbors’ the Israelis regained control of the entire City of Jerusalem for the first time since 70 A D. thus fulfilling this prophecy of Jesus. All believers in the words of Jesus should know that the ending of Gentile control of the city is God’s plan. “When you see these things happen look up your redemption draws nigh.” (Lk 21:28)
6. BECAUSE WE ARE TO “COMFORT GOD’S PEOPLE”
In Isaiah, God speaks ‘Comfort, comfort my people says your God. Speak tenderly to Jerusalem and cry to her that her warfare is ended, that her iniquity is pardoned that she has received from the Lord’s hand double for all her sins’. (Isaiah 40:1-2)
This is a call to Christians to comfort the Jewish people. Isaiah also envisions that the leaders of the nations would help the Jewish people and nurture them in their regathering. ‘Thus says the Lord God: “Behold, I will lift up my hand to the nations, and raise my signal to the peoples; and they shall bring your sons in their bosom, and your daughters shall be carried on their shoulders. Kings shall be your foster fathers and their queens your nursing mothers. With their faces to the ground they shall bow down to you and lick the dust off your feet. Then you will know that I am the Lord; those who wait for me shall not be put to shame.” (Isa 49:22-23)
God says that the Gentiles will nurture the Jewish people and assist them in their reentry to their land. It is our divine mandate to help them for their own sakes and for the fulfillment of their unique call. Gentile believers must do more than observe what God is doing with the Jewish people…God is asking us to get involved in helping them!
7. BECAUSE WE NEED TO MAKE REPARATION FOR ANTI-SEMITIC TEACHINGS AND ACTIONS
Throughout the history of the Church, since the second century, Christian leaders have been guilty of the most vicious anti-Semitic remarks. These remarks have provided the basis for despots throughout the centuries to this day to ridicule, discriminate, and even kill the Jewish people. Often those who claimed to be followers of the Messiah (Rescuer of Israel, and the One who has taught us how to love and forgive) have perpetrated these actions. Can we blame the Jews for so often resisting a Messiah whose followers were anti-Semitic? In justice as well as in charity we need to make reparation for the tragic record of Christianity (both in its Catholic & in its Protestant forms) in its dealings with the Jewish people. We who should have been their nurturers; have so often been their enemies and tormentors. The spirit of anti-Semitism did not begin or end with Adolf Hitler but can find a landing ground on Christians who have not been awakened to their responsibility towards Israel.
The heretical teaching that the Church has replaced Israel has been taught since the second century. This teaching is faithful neither to the Old Testament nor New Testament Scriptures. Though most nations and churches denounce anti-Semitism today, anti-Zionism is still widely acceptable. It is the new anti-Semitism. Opposition to Israel’s right to fulfill their God given destiny in the land of promise is the most dangerous form of anti-Semitism today.
8. BECAUSE GOD IS WORKING WITH THEM TO WORK OUT HIS PLAN FOR WORLD PEACE
Romans 11:15: ‘For if their rejection means the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance mean but life from the dead?’ The Messiah is coming back to Israel to be reconciled with His own people. He will reign from there with His overcoming saints ‘from every tribe and tongue and people and nation’ over all the nations. (Rev. 7:9; 11:15)
Isaiah 2:3 ‘For out of Zion shall go forth the law and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem. He shall judge between the nations, and shall decide for many peoples: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.’ World peace is coming. The fullness of the Messianic age is coming. But first there will be the destruction of all systems and kingdoms that ignore God’s Messianic plan.
- If you want world peace. Pray and help the Jewish people;
- If you want to see the Church restored, pray for and help the Jewish people:
- If you want to see the Messiah return, pray for the restoration of Israel.
- If you want to see your nation and all the nations including the Arab nations) blessed, pray and work for it to stand with Israel and the Jewish people, and resist anti-Semitism.
- If you want your own life to be blessed, help and bless the Jewish people
- If you want your life to prosper, pray for the peace of Jerusalem.
SEVEN PRACTICAL THINGS BELIEVERS CAN DO TO HELP ISRAEL
- Study and understand what the Bible has to say about God’s plan for Israel & the Jewish people.
- Pray for the peace of Jerusalem and for God’s purposes for the Jewish people. “Pray for the peace of Jerusalem. They shall prosper that love you” (Psalm 122.6).
- Teach your church to stand with Israel. Organize a pro Israel event or seminar in your church or city each year to encourage biblical solidarity with God’s plan for the Jewish people and Israel. This will bring a blessing on your church and city.
- Support (financially and otherwise) Christian agencies that help the Jewish people return to Israel and settle in their land. E.g. “The International Christian Embassy, Jerusalem”.
- Share the Messiah with the Jewish people in the context of their own faith, destiny, and scriptures.
- Refuse to support anti-Semitic sentiments in public and social life. Where appropriate speak out as the Spirit leads in wise and loving ways e.g. notify politicians and/or media of your views.
- Visit Israel if possible. This is a practical way to learn about the people and support them and their economy. “Walk about Zion and go all around her. Count her towers mark well her bulwarks. Consider her palaces that you may tell it to the generations following.” (Psalm 48:13)
In this time of international travel should we not all consider making Jerusalem our destination of choice?
You may translate and copy this tract, provided no changes are made and source is acknowledged.
Address all mail to:
Paul & Nuala O’Higgins
P.O. Box 2778
Stuart, FL 34995, USA